- This event has passed.
Pranayama Course (5 sessions)
Sunday, February 9 @ 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Prana is the universal principle of energy or force. “Whatever moves or works or has life, is but an expression or manifestation of prana.” Breath is the external manifestation of prana. With the regular practice of pranayama—or controlling prana—you can store this energy in your brain and nerve plexi. You need an abundance of prana to be healthy and strong. Hatha Yoga has developed this to a science. In this 5-session course, we will introduce and practice kapalabhati and anuloma viloma (alternate nostril breathing), in addition to sun salutations and relaxation.
- Learn a safe practice you can do daily,
- building up the number of rounds over the course of the five weeks at your own pace.
- Balance and calm the mind.
- Tone your body, internal organs and digestion.
- We will look at classic sitting positions, kriyas and anatomy of breathing.
- Build your awareness of energy, while consciously building, storing, purifying and chanelling prana.
Swami Sivananda says, “A Pranayama practitioner will have a light body free from disease, very fair complexion, a sweet melodious voice, and pleasant smell from his body. He will have good appetite, cheerfulness, a handsome figure, good strength, courage, enthusiasm, a high standard of health, vigour and vitality, and good concentration of mind.” The practice is easy and the benefits immediate. Cultivate the discipline, with the encouragement of the group practice.
The course meets 5 consecutive Sunday mornings. (A weeknight course can be scheduled on request.)