ONLINE – Let’s Make Dosas!
With Anita (joining us from Oregon)
Healthy food is key for everything from healthy skin and teeth to strong body and immunity. Anita makes everything seem easy (and joyful) in the kitchen! The health-conscious, vegan, gluten-free menu features DOSAS, with chutney and sambar—plus uttappam!
NOTE: There are two time-sensitive steps to complete in advance of the workshop on Saturday evening.
- Video: We will share a prep video on how to soak the ingredients for the dosa batter. This won't be a live session, but it will be a time-sensitive activity. It should be done at least 6 hours before we meet for Zoom 1, so any time Friday morning before 11:00am. Don't forget.
- Zoom 1: Friday, June 5 at 5:00pm for about half an hour. This will be a live Zoom session where we can all grind the dosa batter together. Have your blender ready.
- Zoom 2: Saturday, June 6 at 4:00pm - This will be our live Zoom class together on Saturday, where we will make chutney, sambar, uttappam and dosas in our kitchens
- urad dal
- fenugreek seeds
- dry coconut
- sambar masala
Deadline to order the optional Dosa Box is Friday, May 29. Cost, including shipping is $25.
- 1 cup dal (urad dal is the best, but can work with mung dal or red lentils as well)
- 3 cups grain (brown rice, white rice, millet, oats and quinoa all work great)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (optional)
- Oil/ghee for making dosas (sesame oil works very well and is traditionally used to make dosas)
- butter to season the pan (if using a cast iron pan)
- 1/2 lb dry coconut (or frozen coconut)
- 1/4 lb dalia
- 3-4 green chillies (or to taste)
- 1 lime or lemon (or frozen raw mango)
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- for seasoning: 1 tblsp oil, 1tsp mustard seeds, 1tsp cumin seeds and curry leaves (optional)
- 1 cup lentils (toor dal works best, but mung dal or red lentils are okay, too)
- 2 cups of veggies of your choice (cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, okra, opo squash work very well)
- tamarind (1 tsp concentrate)
- 1/2 can coconut milk (optional)
- Sambar masala (store-bought works well - I like these two - 24Mantra or MTR)
- for seasoning: 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, curry leaves (optional)
- 2 cups of chopped vegetables of your choice. The following work very well:
- Dino kale
- Red/yellow/orange/green bell peppers