Restorative Yoga Teacher Training with Sundari (Nora Benian)
Friday, April 17 @ 8:00 AM - Sunday, April 19 @ 5:00 PM
Restorative Yoga is a very gentle yoga practice designed to calm the nervous system and create overall health in the body. It offers simple yet powerful postures that can be integrated into existing yoga classes, healing treatments, or used to teach restorative specific classes. Restorative Yoga is a regenerative healing tool that reduces stress by supporting the body’s innate responses towards homeostasis and health. Through the use of supported yoga postures, breathing and meditative techniques, a profound sense of relaxation can infuse one’s entire being which leads to healing. Restorative Yoga techniques are helpful in the treatment of nervous system disorders, such as insomnia, hypertension, anxiety, and also with specific ailments such as cancer, although it often used for structural re-alignment and the healing of injuries. When the body is fully supported, it will naturally relax, releasing deeply held tensions. Restorative Yoga is the yoga of non-doing, and focuses on effortlessness and ease, using well-placed blankets, bolsters, yoga straps, and chairs to safely support the body in various postures. This process invokes a natural state of balance, regeneration, and healing rest.
During this 24-hour program, learn a full series of restorative postures, complemented with gentle stretching, breathing, and meditation. Through direct experience, practice teaching, and feedback, you leave with the ability to confidently teach a primary series of restorative poses to your students as well as incorporate them into your own practice. The Restorative Yoga Teacher Training is an experiential and fundamentals course designed to provide teachers with a foundation for teaching a safe and effective restorative practice. Students will learn how to meet each student where they are, no matter the age or ability, and teach safe effective postures to heal the body and relax the mind. Note: You do not have to have a yoga teacher credential to take this course.
Certified Yoga Instructors wishing to expand their knowledge of Restorative Yoga, teach Restorative Yoga classes and add to their class offerings. 24 CEU credits and a Restorative Yoga Certification approved by Yoga Alliance.
You will learn:
- The benefits of Restorative Yoga.
- Asanas that naturally induce a state of relaxation and restoration.
- How to effectively support the body in each posture with props.
- How to support people with injuries, stress or chronic pain.
- Restorative postures that can be effectively integrated into Hatha Yoga classes.
- Restorative Yoga as a stand-alone practice.
You will have the ability to reach people who (not limited to):
- have physical limitations, are recovering from injuries and illnesses.
- experience stress, insomnia or fatigue, or are energetically drained.
- are aging to practice yoga.
You will be able to:
- improve your ability to see imbalances in the body more clearly and to use restorative poses to re-align, re-balance and restore the root of the imbalance.
- set up 25 postures with available props and verbal cues.
- assess the support and comfort of your students.
- ease agitation and promote relaxation.
- suggest postures for particular therapeutic effects.
- explain the organic and emotional benefits of postures.
- develop an understanding of the healing process.
- improve your ability to heal yourself and to empower others to heal themselves.
We will explore:
- Fundamentals of teaching Restorative Yoga
- Basics of Restorative Yoga
- Understand the nervous system: parasympathetic and sympathetic
- How Restorative Yoga Affects the Nervous System
- The well-propped pose: to prop or not to prop and why?
- Stress-related disorders caused by an imbalanced nervous system
- Learn how traditional wisdom and scientific understanding can be blended into the Restorative Yoga Practice.
- Restorative Yoga and the 5 senses. Exploring these concepts practically.
- Elements of support
- The psychology of deep support
- Restorative yoga and the emotions
- The mind and Restorative Yoga
- A look at the teachings of the great masters.
- Know proper support of the hands, knees, back, pelvis, arms, neck and chest in restorative poses.
- Elements and harmonies
- The vayus: Prana and Apana. Using restorative Yoga to come into balance.
- Cooling & heating/ calming & stimulating: understanding the basics of what each restorative pose does to various systems of the body
- Ayurveda, Western Culture, the 3 doshas and Restorative Yoga
- Calming &, Digesting: understanding the effect of deeply calming postures
- Restorative Savasana and Yoga Nidra
Sundari (Nora Benian) loves to share the wisdom found in the teachings of Yoga. She is a practitioner of 18 years, a seasoned instructor who teaches all levels from absolute beginner to advanced. Her classes are taught to a wide range of people with a wide range of challenges whether physical, emotional, psychological or spiritual. Nora’s knowledge of anatomy, physiology and Yoga Therapy guides students safely through yogic postures and practices. Her compassionate yet confident teaching style challenges students to release stress and tension, strengthen the body and mind, and learn to relax deeply. Modifications and adaptations are used when necessary making the yoga class experience positive for all. In Yoga Therapy sessions, Nora prescribes Yogic practices along with counselling techniques to help bring clients back into alignment, build strength, and clear their mind and also the energy channels to increase the life force. Nora inspires students and motivates them through self-development with joy and ease. http://www.norabenian.com
Vegetarian lunch and dinner available daily for $10 each
For the residential option:
Private room $790 or dorm room $690 for 2 nights (total, with tuition)
(Option to stay one, two or more, extra nights, ie. Thursday & Sunday)
Shared same-sex bathroom
Includes 2 light breakfasts, 3 vegetarian lunches and 2 dinners, Restorative Yoga Teacher Training Certification Course, 4 satsangs (attendance highly encouraged)
Check in 7:00am Friday; check out Sunday
We request a non-refundable deposit of $100, credit card only.
Refundable only if cancelled within 24 hours of booking.
Advance reservation required. Fill in form below or call 310-822-9642 or email [email protected]
Inquire about secure parking.
Closest airport is LAX. Take Uber/Lyft from there (10 miles).